ANTISERA FOR SLIDE AGGLUTINATION Code: AS 401 - AS 405
NEISSERIA MENINGITIDIS A NEISSERIA MENINGITIDIS B
NEISSERIA MENINGITIDIS C NEISSERIA MENINGITIDIS X
NEISSERIA MENINGITIDIS Y
Purpose and usage:
Antisera are designed for the determination of serological groups of N. meningitidis A,B,C,X and Y, isolated from the patients with grave meningococcal disease (meningitis, sepsis).
1. Put one drop of each of the antisera A, B,C,X and Y and one drop of saline on a slide.
2. In each drop of antiserum and saline resuspend one colony of the tested strain of N. meningitidis (use 16-18 hr. culture and maximally 3. passage).
3. Rock the slide for 1-3 minutes by circling movements.
Reading the results and evaluation of the reaction:
Perform the reading against dark background:
- forming of big agglutinates and clearing the surrounding liquid: +++
- forming of small clumps and feebly opaque surrounding liquid: ++
- forming of unclearly bordered or threadlike agglutinates with turbid surrounding liquid: +
- agglutinates do not form and the liquid remains turbid: -
Evaluation of the results:
1. Positive reaction with one antiserum: N. meningitidis gr. A,B,C,X or Y.
2. Positive reaction with more antisera: N. meningitidis PA (polyagglutinable).
3. Negative reaction with all antisera positive reaction with saline: N. meningitidis SA (spontaneously agglutinating).
4. Negative reaction with all antisera and saline: N. meningitidis NA (nonagglutinating). It is necessery to quote that only antisera A,B,C,X and Y were used.
1. Antisera are protected with sodium azide. Nevertheless it is necessary to avoid their contamination during their use (you must not touch the slide with the dropper during dropping the sera!).
2. Antisera are delivered in liquid form 1 ml each and are designed for laboratory use only.
3. Antisera should be kept in a dark place at +4°C and should not be used beyond the expiration date shown on the packing.