Diagnostic device > Other diagnostic sets
DIAGNOSTIC SETS 4 x 8 ml Code: SO 311
Set for determination of staphylococcal plasmacoagulase production (detection of free coagulase)
Purpose and usage:
STAPHY-COAGULASE set is designed for the identification of plasmacoagulase positive staphylococci. In addition to Staphylococcus aureus sp. it applies to a five species of the genus Staphylococcus which are found mainly in veterinary material: S. intermedius, S. hyicus, S. delphini, S. schleiferi subsp. coagulans, S. aureus subsp. anaerobius.
In other species described till now, i.e. up S. pasteuri (identified in 1993) this test is negative.
1. Add enclosed 8 ml of saline to the bottle of freeze-dried rabbit plasma and dissolve thoroughly.
2. Put 0.5 ml of this prepared plasma solution into an agglutination tube and add either 0.1 ml of eighteenhour broth culture, or a few colonies of the tested strain and mix well.
3. Incubate the mixture 3 hrs. at 37°C and afterwards keep till the second day at room temperature.
Read the result after 1, 3 and 24 hours. If the reaction is positive, plasma solidifies or some lumps and clots form.
It is desirable to use positive (e.g. S. aureus CCM 1484) and negative (e.g. S. epidermidis CCM 2124) control.
NOTE: The plasma solution can be also used for the determination of bound coagulase: Resuspend a few colonies of the tested strain on slide in a drop of the prepared plasma. Agglutination should appear with strains of S. aureus and partly with strains of S. intermedius, but this technique can be up to 25% false negative. So in case of negative slide agglutination you must perform the tube test, too.
Weak positive reaction showing bound coagulase can be seen also with two coagulase negative staphylococci which can cause human infections: S. lugdunensis and S. schleiferi subsp. schleiferi.
1. STAPHY-COAGULASE set is delivered in 4 x 8 ml pack and is designed for laboratory use only.
2. The set must be kept at +4°C and should not be used beyond the expiration date shown on the packing. Dissolved plasma must be used during 5 days.